Saturday, May 1, 2010

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog!

I warn you, it's name may change. There must be a more creative one, and hey, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm on a mission. Right now and for the foreseeable future, my partner and I have a long-distance marriage (long story, full of family obligations and international intrigue :)). But she will be coming to visit several months from now (this fall) and I have decided to use that visit as the impetus for a healthy change in the way we all eat.

Our budget is small so instead of going out to eat while she's here, I want to focus more on cooking at home. And back here at the ranch, so to speak, my son and I could use some changes in our way of eating.

Though I have emphasized natural and organic most of his life, occasionally, we'd stop for fast food or order pizza. And then, "occasionally" began to be "sometimes" and it was slipping dangerously close to "often."

Plus, there were times when I just didn't feel like cooking, so we'd eat toast and cereal. Yummy once in a while but again, you don't want to slide into habit.

So, I need 21 meals. And here are the criteria...

(1) They must be yummy! So yummy that they are worth whatever hassle it takes to make them.

(2) There can't be a whole lot of hassle or I won't care how yummy they are!

(3) They have to include natural or organic food, and fresh or frozen fresh whenever possible.

(4) They have to (mostly) be healthy!

Phew! That list, alone, makes me want to sit down and rest.

For inspiration, I have been reading Simple Food for Busy Families: the Whole Life Nutrition Approach. I may try some of their recipes.

And I am open to suggestions!

Now, actually, the list is started already, because there are a few meals we all like that I don't mind making. I will include that list in my next post or somewhere on the blog.

Wish me luck!

Jeanine

No comments:

Post a Comment